Saturday, August 11, 2012

I Got a Call Today...

It went something like this...

"Rebekah, this is M. Um, I just wanted to let you know that Josh was in an accident, and is on his way to the ER in B______...But he is okay, they just want to check him out."

This is heart STOPPING news to hear in the middle of a school day.  My girls were busily cutting up paper to send some shapes in a care package to their favorite Uncle Jothanan to take with him when he goes away to "keep us safe."  In the middle of hearts and squares and little teeny tiny pieces of paper being cut up all over my kitchen table, and the reading of the end of Dr. Doolittle...this call came to me.  Dr. Doolittle is still on the floor where it fell.

My kitchen table and the floor below it...just as I left it at 4pm today.
There are not words to describe how I felt when I heard the news.  Really, aside from a huge adrenaline rush which left me shaking, I didn't feel anything.  I was practically a pickle - I mean, as cool as a cucumber.  Only one other time have I felt this vague numbness that won't let me feel true emotion...and that was when I was on the Spirit of Grace in Sept of 2005, riding out Hurricane Rita with Josh and a handful of others.  I truly believe God allowed me to hold it together...and He did that so I could be brave for my kiddos who were worried about their Papa-Bear!

Shalom - just like her Mama normally would - burst into tears several times worried about her Papa.
Ruth - she had LOTS of questions she needed answers to...which I couldn't answer.
Anna - well, Anna is our little songbird.  She LOVES to sing anytime, anywhere, about anything.  Anna started singing, "When he gets home, I'm gonna hug him....oh when he gets home, I'm gonna hug him. Then he will feel better when I hug him when we get home!!!"  (some random tune that could only be heard in her head.)
Ezra...well...he had no clue whatsoever. He just knew he had to get his shoes on and go see Marty and Susan for several hours.

Going to the ER- which my Mom wisely counseled me to go without kids - was hard.  I had a 40 minute drive.  I took Selah with me.  I cranked Selah.  REALLY loud.

Something about the words:  "When I feel like I can't go on, You deliver me" and "When the road is winding way too long, You deliver me" 100% soothed my heart.  (Click link to watch Selah sing this song.)

I have my Josh sleeping next to me while I type this.  He is here, banged and bruised, but alive and sleeping.  I thank God for the sound of Josh's breathing, and the chance to again watch his chest rise and fall.

After all, what is a girl without her Hero?  =)



1 comment:

Jenn said...

I am so grateful Josh is okay. We will keep all of you in our prayers.