Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Sad Story of Tailspin

Once upon a time, there was a little boy.  A little boy, who had no one to love him.  His mama and his Papa didn't love him - they didn't even know how to love each other!  As the boy grew older, he got into trouble, lots of trouble.  He did things that not only were against the law, but hurt him a whole lot.  He was stuck in a downward spiral....spinning faster and faster out of control!  We will call him Tailspin.

There once was a little girl.  She lived a very sheltered life.  She was often saddened by what she saw around her, and always wanted to fix it.  Her heart was soft, and often got trampled on.  She cared about people, and hated that there was nothing she could do to stop the hurting.  We will call her Tender-heart.

Once day, Tender-heart met Tailspin.  Her heart ever on her sleeve, she sought to win him over to the God who made him, and loved him oh, so very much.  But Tailspin was angry.  He was mad at this God of Tender-heart's.  How could he love this God, when this God ruined his family, ruined his life - or so he thought.
Tailspin often told Tender-heart that it was okay for her to love this God...but he wasn't ready.  In reality, he wasn't ready to lay down his hate, his hurt.  He had become bitter against this God of Tender-heart's...and it was eating him up.  Tender-heart became brokenhearted at what appeared to everyone she knew, as wasted efforts to show someone the love of her God.  After a couple years, Tender-heart's God took her away from the friendship she had with Tailspin.  Tailspin was no good for her, dragging her down emotionally and mentally...and her God had other growing lessons for His Little Tender-heart.

This sad story, is a true story.  It happened to me during the two years God had me in Carpentry at Penta County Vocation High School.  Tailspin is a real person...and last I knew, he was escalating in his bad choices - he wasn't satisfied with being busted for drugs...he wanted to be busted with drugs, and a weapon.  Tailspin still needs Jesus.  I prayed SO long during those two years that God would save him, and teach him what REAL love is...not the physical lust between boyfriend and girlfriend (which by the way, he and I were never a couple or involved), but the truly unconditional love of God that he LONGED for with all his heart.

So why am I telling this story?  God has the Larsons in a place where many young men at a crossroads, of sorts.  Lots of the guys here remind me of Tailspin...and, just like Tailspin, if I am not careful, my "tender-heart" can take their rejection of God personally.  I get SO wrapped up in...people...that I forget that this is all about God.  Not about me.  Guess I am still learning what John the Baptist meant when he talked about decreasing so that Christ could increase.

By the way, I haven't given up hope that God will reach dear Tailspin.  I have realized what my Mom was always telling me - at least in this case.  Repeat after me, Mom, Allison and Joanna:  "No where on your/my birth certificate does it say Holy Spirit!"

The End (at least of MY part of the Tailspin's story!)

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Love it, Nowhere on my birth certificate does it say "Holy Spirit"!
I am learning more and more that I don't have to let others choices or judgements of me affect my faith. I have a choice to wear my heart on my sleeve but if it gets jerked around it is not because of what someone else has done but because of my own weakness. God is making me stronger in my faith and showing me that I don't have to walk away from a situation hurting because of what someone else has done or not done. I can and must leave their lives up to God not up to me. I can not change them anyway only God can. I AM NOT the HOLY SPIRIT. (Love that) All the Tailspins in your life right now can see you as a strong witness in their lives but if and when they ever change is up to them not you. We have to give our hearts till it hurts but then walk away and say, "You know my heart God and that is all I can do, you, Lord God, are my master and my strength and my provider. You alone can change a man's heart, I am but your servant, use me and then help me to walk away knowing I've done my best. And to accept that the rest is your will God not mine"
I don't know if I'm saying that right but God has been teaching me along these lines lately and I am getting stronger and I am not allowing others to effect me and cause me to toss and turn anymore. Praise His Name!!!