Thursday, October 27, 2011

Worship and Christmas

I sang the Hymns at church.  O Little Town of Bethlehem, Joy to the World, Away in the Manger, O Holy Night...they were songs I sang at Christmas time, just like everyone else.

Then I went away to Bible School.  After my first semester, I went home for Christmas.  MAN!  I was smacked by the THEOLOGY in the Hymns!  Ever REALLY read all the lines of Joy to the World?  Google it, or better yet, pick up a hymnal and check it out! Webster's defines 'theology' this way:

the·ol·o·gy

noun \thē-ˈä-lə-jē\
1
: the study of religious faith, practice, and experience; especially : the study of God and of God's relation to the world
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So...worship.  Webster's defines worship as a verb that means " to honor or reverence as a divine being or supernatural power."

To me, worship is singing at the top of my lungs alone in my car to God.  Tears flowing, or waiting to flow: brimming.  My heart longing to be with God, yet wondering why He would come to Earth in flesh, lowering Himself to my level, just to love me.  THAT is what worship means to me.

Have you ever felt locked in a padded cell?  Void of strong emotions?  With a THICK concrete ceiling between you and God?  I have felt that way for a long time.  Me, a "Christian" good little girl practically from birth.  I could do everything right, know all the right answers in Sunday School, yet I was feeling like God was completely out of my reach and unattainable...till today!  =D

My parents got me Chris Tomlin's Christmas album from 2009 - "Glory in the Highest" for my birthday.  I finally got to be alone in the van and listened to it with the volume on high.  Oh my goodness.  I am gonna play a song for you, and leave you with a message from Jesus.

Luke 4: 18 and 19 (KJV):

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He hath anointed me to preach the Gospel to the poor; He hath sent me to HEAL the BROKEN~HEARTED, to preach DELIVERANCE to the CAPTIVES, and recovering of the sight to the blind, to set at liberty (to SET FREE) them that are bruised(OPPRESSED), to preach the acceptable year of the Lord."  ~ Jesus


Worship, and SOME Christmas music, go hand in hand!

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Great message from the Lord, always love you sharing your heart. Happy Birthday <3