Friday, February 26, 2010

A Cursory Glance at a Bible Study...

NOTE:  I am learning/looking this up as I go.  I thought I would share a bit of my journey with you.  Wanna learn with me?   I have not arrived, nor do I write this to "teach."  Call it, being transparent, if you will!

I needed a boost.  A kind of shot in the arm.  So I picked up my Bible to see what it says about me and my role in my family.

I started looking through Proverbs to see what Solomon had to say about women/wives.  Here is what I have found:

  • She keeps her Man satisfied - Prov. 5:15-19
  • she is gracious - Prov. 11:6
  • She is virtuous - Prov. 12:4
  • She guards her mouth - Prov.13:3
  • She is wise which leads to being prudent - Prov 16:20;  see also Prov. 18:15, 19:14
  • She is wise, and builds up her home - Prov. 14:1
  • She does her Man good all her days -Prov. 31:12
  • She works with her hands at what she has available -Prov. 31:13
  • She keeps her family fed and warm -Prov. 31:15, 31:22,24
  • She is not lazy -Prov. 31:17
  • She cares for those less fortunate -Prov. 31:20
  • She uses wisdom with what she says -Prov. 31:26
  • She is not idle, and keeps her house in order -Prov. 31:27
What should a wife NOT do according to Proverbs?
  • She shouldn't be without discretion - Prov. 11:22
  • She shouldn't make her Man ashamed of her - Prov. 12:4
  • She should not be foolish and tear down her home Prov. 14:1
  • She shouldn't be contemptuous - Prov. 21:9
  • She shouldn't be a sluggard - Prov. 26:14
  • She should not be contentious - Prov. 27:15
  • She should not be idle - Prov. 31:27
Paul wrote a letter to Titus (2:4,5).  He said that the older women should teach the younger women how to:
  • Be sober
  • Love their own husband
  • Love their children
  • Be discreet and chaste
  • Be a Keeper-at-Home
  • Be good
  • Be obedient to their own husbands
 Who would have thought that we as women would need to be taught how to love our husbands and children, how to be good?!?!?  He said the older women were to teach the younger women this so that the word of God would not be blasphemed!  What on earth does that mean?

Peter also wrote about women.  He said we are to:
  • be in subjection to our own husbands
  • be chaste in our conduct coupled with fear
  • that our apparel should be a meek and quiet spirit.
Hmmm...looks like I have more studying to do!  Anyone care (or dare ;D ) to add your thoughts?  What is a meek and quiet spirit?  What is Chaste conduct? What do these two things look like?

    2 comments:

    ~healthybratt said...

    good study. the hardest part is learning how to put it into practice. trying to keep all the things about yourself that are attractive to your mate, learning to quell and quiet those things that are not and finding a way to keep a close walk with the Lord without becoming a self-righteous bore. takes alot of prayer and creativity. =D

    Dave ~ Brenda said...

    We are to be discreet (modest and decent), chaste (sexually pure), keepers at home (home-makers), good, obedient to their own husbands (do we care what other wives husband think? Do their opinions matter more than our husbands?).......many thoughts and lessons in these verses. A meek and quiet spirit means having a gentle and precious spirit about us. Rebekah, this is a loaded study! One thing I noticed about the Proverbs 31 woman's life is that it is totally void of "self". Whew! I also have alot to work on! Love ya!